Dickey’s Barbecue Pit settles with woman who drank tainted iced tea

Dickey's Barbecue Pit in South Jordan, Utah. (Associated Press)
Dickey’s Barbecue Pit in South Jordan, Utah. (Associated Press)

A Utah woman who drank iced tea accidentally poisoned with lye has reached a settlement with Dallas-based chain Dickey’s Barbecue, according to the Associated Press. Jan Harding suffered severe burns and was hospitalized for weeks after drinking iced tea that was accidentally tainted with lye, a chemical found in drain cleaner. Terms were not disclosed in the settlement, and the Salt Lake County Attorney’s office has not pressed charges, stating there were “errors and mishaps but no evidence of criminal wrongdoing,” according to the AP. For the full story, click here.

Author: Matthew Odam

Restaurant critic & features writer at Austin American @Statesman and @Austin360. Austin-born 6th generation Texan. Left-handed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s