[cmg_anvato video=”4357594″ autoplay=”true”]
The Dark Prince of Texas barbecue has a soft side, it seems. John Mueller is getting nostalgic this weekend and hosting Tonto Fest, a party to celebrate his Black Box BBQ trailer’s first year in business in Georgetown (and his love for his new metal tomahawk). Following the conclusion of regular service at 2 p.m., Mueller will smoke a half cow with Jim Buchanan of Buck’s BBQ in Houston. The event takes place during the weekend-long Red Poppy Festival in downtown Georgetown.
The men, who will be joined by special guests like Bill Kerlin of Kerlin BBQ, John Brotherton of Black Iron Eats and some other unannounced barbecue stars from Central Texas, will hand out the smoked meat, along with St. Arnold’s Beer and Tito’s Vodka. Mueller will also be mic’d up for some color(ful) commentary and a taping of the Tales from the Pits podcast. John Mueller’s Black Box BBQ is located at 201 E. 9th St. in downtown Georgetown.
- The Top 10 barbecue restaurants and trailers in Austin
- John Mueller returning with new barbecue trailer and plans for restaurant
- 2016 Austin360 Dining Guide: The best barbecue in Central Texas
- From the archives (2014): The best barbecue in Austin
- From the archives (May, 2012): Barbecue’s prodigal son: After years of battling personal demons, John Mueller is back and better than ever before